Gerkens 22/24 Alkalized Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder Unsweetened
A highly alkalized and very fine and smooth cocoa powder, Gerkens 22/24 Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder is a high- fat cocoa powder that conveys an intense cocoa flavor in a dark red color. Gerkens Cocoa, with its Dutch heritage, is known for producing consistent, high quality products. It is rich and has full flavor - a classic European-style unsweetened cocoa powder. This high quality cocoa powder has been a strategic raw material for many factories worldwide, that strive for quality chocolate, biscuits, dairy and other products that make a difference.
- INGREDIENTS: 22% - 24% dutch process (highly alkalized) dark brown cocoa powder
- FLAVOR: Rich, full flavor; a classic European-style unsweetened cocoa powder
- USAGE: Hot cocoa, sauces, frostings, and even brownies and sponge cakes, so long as no baking soda or powder are called for
- ALLEGERN INFO: Free from active lipase and proteinase. Components which could cause allergic reactions: cocoa, saccharose, fructose
- ORIGIN: Product of Holland by Gerkens
- EXPIRATION DATE: Marked on the package, usually 2-3 years
Dutch-process or alkalized cocoa is chemically processed to reduce the acidity and harshness of natural cocoa. In doing so, alkalizing alters the flavor of the cocoa and darkens the color, making it appear to be more chocolatey. When acidity is reduced to 22% - 24%, the result is rich flavor and darker chocolate-like color in baked treats.
You can use dutch processed cocoa in any recipe that does not include baking powder or baking soda: hot cocoa, sauces, frostings, and even brownies and sponge cakes, so long as no baking soda or powder are called for.